Nov 26, 2019
Happy Thanksgiving! Food, memories, family—on this episode of Smidgen, host Anne Milneck explores each of these elements as she tries to get to the bottom of a childhood Thanksgiving memory she has about a turkey being dropped and the chaos that ensued. As often happens with family memories, it is hard to get one consistent version of events (despite Anne asking several key family members.) After this venture into “turkey true crime,” Anne talks with her son-in-law Ben about a five-alarm event from last Thanksgiving to illustrate that even disasters don’t have to derail a happy holiday.
Next, Anne takes some questions from listeners (recorded at our recent Smidgen podcast live recording) about some real-world Thanksgiving issues. Stuffing or dressing; cooking for two; gravy; non-turkey main dishes; and the dreaded clean-up are some of the topics covered.
In the cooking segment, Anne and Lili Courtney hit the kitchen to prove that when it comes to Thanksgiving, sides are where it is at with Cast Iron Brussels Sprouts with Bacon. (Can you smell the bacon already?)
Mentioned on the show:
- Try a new stuffing recipe that is similar to a savory bread pudding. Our Wild Mushroom and Sourdough Stuffing is ready to become your new obsession.
- Need a little color on your Thanksgiving table? Make a Quick Pickled Red Onion to bring zing and a splash of red to the buffet or table.
- Celebrate peak Brussels sprout with this divine side that goes from stovetop to oven to table in your cast iron. Smoky and delicious Cast Iron Brussels Sprouts with Bacon is made with Cranberry Balsamic and our available-year-round Cranberry Maple Rub.
- If you want to try something different as your Thanksgiving main dish, consider Crawfish Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Tasso Cream Sauce or a ham baked up with the Red Stick Spice Ham Glaze.
- Listen to the episode for a Red Stick Spice Co. discount code, special for you, our Smidgen listener.
Traveling over the river and through the woods this season? Hear all Smidgen episodes on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Pandora, or your browser, or your favorite podcast app. Smidgen is the podcast of Red Stick Spice Co.