May 1, 2023
Click here to learn more about Culinary Madrid, the cooking (and eating!) travel experience with Anne Milneck and Red Stick Spice Company: Culinary Madrid
Anne (Red Stick Spice Company owner and host of Smidgen) makes this cake for nearly every family gathering, and you can, too. The Tarta de Santiago has something for everyone according to Anne. Santiago translates to St. James, and this cake, named for this “greater” Saint, traditionally bears a stencil of his sword on top. (Make a simple stencil of James’ sword and dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar. Adorable!)
A flavorful, beautiful crumbed cake—light but with a chew; almond and citrus playing off each other—this cake is the perfect finish to a dinner of the complex flavors found in paella. Tarta de Santiago is easy to make and is naturally gluten free. If you love simple but elegant baked goods, this one is for you.
· Bake it: Try Tarta de Santiago at home.
· Go the distance and finish the cake with a powdered sugar stencil of St. James’ sword. Make a stencil of St. James’ sword with this image. (Via Wikipedia. There’s even a picture of the tarta on that page!)
· Want an extra punch of almond flavor? Red Stick Spice Co. almond extract is the answer.
· Try one of our favorite paella recipes—Easy weeknight paella.
· How can I learn more about Culinary Madrid—the six day cooking and food tour of Madrid, Spain—and how can I sign up? Click here for Culinary Madrid.
Hear all Smidgen episodes on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Pandora, or your browser, or your favorite podcast app. Follow Red Stick Spice Co socials, including Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. Smidgen is the award-winning podcast of Red Stick Spice Co.