Mar 18, 2021
It’s the equipment episode of Smidgen! It’s not just food that goes into meal preparation. Anne takes us on a tour of the kitchen—from smallwares to the stove to the oven to electrical tools—everything we use to be amazing home cooks.
Since Anne just spent the pandemic building out a 2,000 ft teaching kitchen, she’s got lots of thoughts about what goes into a kitchen that serves the needs of cooks who are making meals for families daily. Want to learn how your oven works? Anne has a couple tests you can perform at home to identify hot spots, broiler quirks, true heat and more. Do you need to outfit someone’s kitchen or you want to know what items are the best multi-taskers? Anne shares the smallwares that get the job done (and if you don’t love tongs now, you will by the end of the show!) You’ll learn how to manage heat (and why it’s so important for cooking.)
Finally, Anne introduces the Monogram line of ranges and ovens that she selected for the Red Stick Spice Co teaching kitchen and why she took the plunge. To cook, Anne’s got Rosemary Chicken Pizzettas—so tasty and you can make tonight!
Mentioned on the show:
- Try the bread in the oven test to discover the hot spots (or not spots). An oven thermometer (even an inexpensive one) will show if your oven temp is true.
- Whip up some cupcakes to experiment with the convection setting on your oven.
- Listen back to Smidgen, Season 1 to hear more about your Instant Pot.
- Learn more in store about Staub cast iron; pick up a microplane; sneak around the shop and count exactly how many pairs of tongs Anne has stashed at Red Stick Spice Co.
- We are so excited for our C’est Si Bon subscription boxes! Get the goodness of Red Stick Spice Co. each month with a C’est Si Bon subscription—it is so, so good. Makes an amazing gift. C’est Si Bon!
Listen to the episode for a Red Stick Spice Company discount code, special for you, our Smidgen listener.
Did this episode get you excited about any kitchen equipment? Did you buy a bevy of tongs? How about cooking the Pizzettas? Let us know! Hit us up on any of the Red Stick Spice Co socials, including Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.