May 19, 2022
Baking gluten-free is a bear, even for experienced bakers. A lot of the usual rules don’t apply and gluten-free baking has tons of methods and practices that bakers need to know before they can achieve “GF” baking success. We get this episode’s question from Connie, who knows her way around an oven; she simply had disaster after disaster trying to bake gluten-free. To help Connie out, Smidgen host (and infamous non-baker) Anne Milneck brings on Kelly Courson of CeliacChicks.com to get into some of the ways bakers can make beautiful and delicious baked goods, and to share some of the factors that go into successful gluten-free baking.
If you want to make delectable goodies for your friends or family that forgo gluten, in this episode you’ll learn about several key ingredients every GF bakers need to know; you’ll have cookbooks and recipes that are kitchen-tested; you’ll be connected to mixes that are specially formulated for the home cook.
To top off all this valuable information, Anne heads into the Red Stick Spice Company teaching kitchen—with some help from friend of the shop Kayla and bakes a classic birthday cake, complete with rainbow sprinkles.
Mentioned on the show:
- If you know someone with celiac disease, Kelly’s website CeliacChicks.com is a must. Follow Kelly on Instagram.
- Kelly recommends you try Cup4Cup products—flours, mixes, recipes. See the Cup4Cup website here.
- Some cookbooks to try: Culinary Institute of America Gluten-Free Baking is one Kelly likes; Anne got the birthday cake recipe from Cannelle et Vanille by Aran Goyoaga.
- Were you tempted by talk of the almond cake on Smidgen? Here’s the recipe on the Red Stick Spice Company website.
- How do I get the Red Stick Spice Company newsletter with recipes and cooking ideas? Sign up for our newsletter here.
- Oven questions? Listen back to Anne’s episode about managing heat and getting to know your oven to help you bake: Smidgen episode, The Right (Kitchen) Tool for the Job.
Follow Red Stick Spice Co socials, including Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Hear all Smidgen episodes on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Pandora, or your browser, or your favorite podcast app. Smidgen is the award-winning podcast of Red Stick Spice Co.