Apr 8, 2021
Watch the leaves dance about in the water, allow the aroma to change and develop, maybe gently raise and dunk the infuser in your cup… and in a few minutes, take a sip of something rich and complex. It’s tea—delicious, flavorful joy in a cup. Red Stick Spice Co. is a spice shop, yes, but it’s also a purveyor of tea. Anne Milneck, host of Smidgen, is a tea sommelier and certified tea lover. All of the skills that make Anne passionate about blending spices translate to the world of tea (and what a world it is!) In this first of two tea episodes, Anne talks about tea from Camelia Sinesis—the tea plant that produces black, green, and white tea.
In this episode you’ll learn everything you want to know about the most common varieties of tea; equipment to brew a great cup; how to brew; how to appreciate the flavors evoked by tea (and how that differs from flavored tea—which are also delicious and wonderful.) Anne teaches a bit about caffeine and bitterness: two factors that are important to understand when considering tea (Anne even walks producer Catherine through a test to learn more about bitter receptors. You’ll want to try this yourself!)
To close, Anne offers a “sipping segment,” introducing listeners to The Big Fig—a great tea blend that combines fig, cinnamon, and green tea. Anne selected this tea as a fragrant and savory introduction for the person who wants the benefits of green tea, but might not yet be familiar with the concept of “pleasantly bitter.” (A phrase you will learn and love from this episode.)
Mentioned on the show:
- Intrigued by some of the teas you heard about on the episode? Try The Big Fig or Razz-ma-tazz or even indulge in a dessert tea like Chocolate Covered Strawberry tea. Want more? We’ve got you covered…….
- See all tea selections offered by Red Stick Spice Co. on the website. From single variety to blends to botanicals, we are sure to have a tea you will love.
- Reminder: next Smidgen episode is about botanical and herbal teas.
- Are you in the greater Baton Rouge area? Come visit our shop and look forward to the Barista-led tea bar that will open inside our store soon!
- Did your ears perk up at the mention of a tea class, led by Anne? Red Stick Spice Co. offers a variety of classes—even some online classes (we’re talking to you, worldwide Smidgen listeners!) Check the calendar and find a Red Stick Spice Co. class for you.
- We are so excited for our C’est Si Bon subscription boxes! Get the goodness of Red Stick Spice Co. each month with a C’est Si Bon subscription—each box contains a curated tea in addition to a full size spice and a local product. Makes an amazing gift. C’est Si Bon!
Listen to the episode for a Red Stick Spice Company discount code, special for you, our Smidgen listener.
We want to know if you tried the tonic test and what exactly you learned about tea in this episode Let us know! Hit us up on any of the Red Stick Spice Co socials, including Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.