Jan 2, 2020
Lots of customers discover Red Stick Spice Company after being given the directive to reduce salt consumption. What better place than our shop to reduce salt without losing flavor? We also hear talk of the DASH Diet—a little bit “Baton Rouge famous” due to research and development at Pennington Biomedical Research Center. To learn more, we’re joined by Renee Puyau, Registered Dietician at Pennington. Renee explains how DASH was originally developed for hypertension, but also supports other health benefits, too. Since DASH is fruit and veggie heavy, Renee gives lots of tips for how to get more servings into each day. (Friendly reminder: this episode is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice.)
Host and Owner of Red Stick Spice Company Anne Milneck takes what she learns from Renee into the Test Kitchen to make a flavorful chicken cutlet using Zahtar. The salt is scant but the taste is plentiful due to Zahtar’s distinct zing—sumac, sesame seeds, and citrus zest come together for a bright flavor that will keep you from missing the salt. The Zahtar chicken is topped with a lush green parsley salad (get those veggies in!) making for a DASH-friendly, quick to prepare dinner.
Mentioned on the show:
- Find out more about the DASH Diet on the Pennington Biomedical Research Center website
- Zahtar is where it’s at for flavorful chicken or a bit of Middle Eastern flair for a variety of dishes
- Make your own Zahtar Chicken with Parsley Salad for dinner tonight! Quick, delicious, DASH friendly
- We offer an abundance of salt-free spice blends to choose from. Anne gave a shout-out to our Red Bean Seasoning and Gumbo Seasoning. Also give a look to our Smoked Porcini, Shallot & Mustard - Salt Free blend. Don’t forget the Alleppo Pepper!
- Cameron came in with our Red Stick Spice Company Oregano Olive Oil to bump up the flavor
- If you have a loved one who is watching their salt intake, we offer a Salt Free Zone gift box that would make a delicious and helpful present
- Join us for our Not My Mother’s Chicken cooking class! This Milk Street Partner Location class highlights cooking skills as well as inspiring recipes. Zahtar Chicken with Parsley Salad is on the menu!
- Listen to the episode for a Red Stick Spice Company discount code, special for you, our Smidgen listener.